Thursday, March 27, 2014

An Appeal

Are you there, Spring? It’s me, Rachel. I was just sitting around with some time on my hands, and I thought I’d see what you’re up to these days.
 
Oh, who am I kidding, Spring? Let’s just face the facts. I miss you. I miss you, and I was hoping you could come home for a little while to Vermont. Not forever. I know you’re not a forever kind of season. But just for a little while.
 
By the way, did you notice what I did with my first line, there, Spring? I thought maybe an appeal to  pop culture would help you remember how much fun I am to hang out with. I know, I know, you’ve been around for a while. Maybe you never jumped on the Judy Blume bandwagon. It’s just that I'm getting kind of desperate. I’ve tried the whole “Wait around and eventually Spring will come” thing, and it’s just not working. I’m starting to feel like it's high school again, and you're too cool for me. I’m not exactly the cheerleader type, but I’ve got many fine qualities. I’m funny and smart. I will pretend to like your music. In fact, I will play your favorite song on repeat in my car in the hopes that you will park next to me, and we will “just happen” to be playing the same song. Unless you like Kings of Leon. I’m sorry, Spring, but I just can’t listen to Kings of Leon, even for you. Honestly, though, Spring, you seem more like an Enya type. I can definitely fake an interest in Enya for you. "Oh my god, I know! It's such soothing music!" See?
 
Actually, Spring, all of this talk about music is reminding me of how we used to spend our time together. Let's remember the good times, okay? Remember how on the first day it was warm enough to drive with the windows down, I would play The Clash at top volume and think about how happy I was to be driving with you? I really treasure those times. They bring me peace, Spring. I don’t drive as much as I used to, but I really want to go for my Clash drive. Don’t you want me to have peace, Spring? Why don’t you want what’s best for me? Why don’t you care about my needs? Why won't you make it warm again?
 
I’m sorry, Spring. That paragraph started to get away from me a little bit. I’m not trying to pressure you. I don’t need you to give me a perfect driving day. Why don’t you just throw on some sweatpants and an old shirt and just aim for a gloomy day with a high in the upper 40s? Even when you're not trying, you're so beautiful.
 
Wait, is it Winter keeping you away? That jerk Winter has left ice all over the town. I think he likes to watch people fall. Has Winter been hurting you, too? Because if Winter has been hurting you, you need to know that there are people who can help you. You have friends, Spring. Friends who love you and miss the way you used to be. I mean, tomorrow is March 28 and there's a winter weather advisory. It's okay to take a stand against that kind of pushy crap. This is your season, Spring! Take it back.
 
Anyway, I really hope this finds you well. And I really, really hope it finds you en route to the Northeast. I'll keep the Enya on repeat till I see you.

No comments: