Sunday, January 19, 2014

Opening Pandora's... Website?

For a variety of reasons, my current job is the first where I've felt free to put in an earbud while at work and listen to the radio all day long. Up to this point, I've only done this when previewing a new Wiggles album for storytime songs, so this is an exciting development. It also means that for the first time ever, I've been listening to Pandora.

I know the rest of the world has been enjoying Pandora for years and years, but I was new to it. What can I say? I'm a bit of a dinosaur. I'm all for new technology and staying current as an institution when I'm, you know, representing an institution, but I'm reluctant to embrace new technology in my personal life.

Pandora, though... that's different. Pandora, you sexy beast, how did I not meet you sooner? I knew I loved Pandora when I noticed the "Why was this song selected?" button, and one of the attributes it thought I liked was a "Prominent accordion part".

First of all, ha! Is that your prominent accordion part, or are you just happy to see me? Get it? The phrasing is funny! And so many of its phrasings are funny. Mild rhythmic syncopation? Either Pandora thinks I have a dirty music mind, or it knows that I love hand claps. Either way, I am totally in. Always and forever, Pandora. With or without extensive vamping.

Second, I am almost positive that I hadn't thumbs-upped any songs with accordions. I hadn't even asked it to add some variety with a Decemberists sea shanty (yet!), so apparently I just seem like a person who would like accordions. Which is true! Pandora can see into the heart of me! Though, really, who doesn't like accordions?

I will grant that it is not all hits in the world of Pandora. Pandora has overestimated my love of Wanda Jackson and only plays She and Him songs from Volume 1. It is convinced that if it just keeps trying, I will want to listen to Jack Johnson. No matter how many times I tell it to play more Talking Heads, it only plays a few select tracks from Stop Making Sense. But that's true of any relationship, right? It's only a matter of time until we get to know each other completely. And it will be a time full of prominent accordion parts.

No comments: